Last Updated on January 28, 2021
The bright neon signs are one of the most iconic, recognizable features of Las Vegas. Have you ever wondered what they look like up close, right at eye-level? The Neon Museum Boneyard offers an eclectic, spectacular collection of these iconic signs. You can tour these collections in person or virtually. Here are all the details you need to know.
The Boneyard Tours
The Neon Museum offers two different ways to experience their iconic collection of neon signs – in-person or virtual.
An in-person tour is a great way to get an up-close and personal look at the iconic neon signs that tell a visual history of one of America’s most famous playgrounds. There are two different areas to explore, The Boneyard and The Boneyard North.
Each outdoor area features a unique collection of neon signs, many of which have been donated by private sector collectors that want to help preserve this part of the history of Las Vegas. Many of the signs have undergone an extensive restoration process and are lit up for your viewing pleasure. The Boneyard North collection has more signs needing restoration, so fewer are lit in this exhibit.
You can choose to be your own tour guide for your in-person tour. This hour-long excursion is the most economical in-person tour option. You can wander at your leisure and spend extra time on the pieces that capture your attention in the main Boneyard.
If you’re more interested in the history behind each of the signs, you can also purchase tickets for a 45 minute, in-person guided tour of the main Boneyard. The tour guides are well informed and make the tour a lot of fun! We don’t typically enjoy museums, but this one was not to be missed and the guided tour is worth the extra money. This is a great educational experience and ideal for both pop culture and history buffs.
Virtual 360 Tour
Not everyone is able to attend, especially during Covid, the Neon Museum exhibits in person. Whether you’d love to see the collection but have no plans of visiting Vegas in the near future, or the current Covid-19 situation has you looking for ways to have fun virtually, the Neon Museum comes through with their virtual 360 tours.
For a low entrance fee, you’re granted access to freely roam the Neon Museum collection all from the comfort of home. The 360 virtual tour allows you to view the details of each sign and offers historical information about each sign, as well as additional content from the museum’s archival collections.
The Neon Museum considers the health, wellbeing, and safety of both their guests and staff to be priority one. Given the nature of the Covid-19 pandemic, local and state regulations are subject to change. The Neon Museum adheres to any current public health and safety mandates issued by the state of Nevada.
Currently, the Neon Museum has implemented Covid-19 safety protocols that include the following (these are subject to change, so please contact the museum directly if you have questions or concerns):
- Masks are required by all guests, even in outdoor areas, except for those who fall into specific exemption categories.
- Guests who are exempt from wearing a mask at the museum include children who are 9 years of age or younger, and those who are unable to wear a mask due to a medical condition (read more about Nevada’s mask exceptions here)
- All staff at the Neon Museum are required to wear protective masks and gloves
- The number of guests allowed to visit the museum at the same time is limited to provide room for appropriate social distancing.
- Guests and employees are screened with non-touch digital thermometers.
- Protective equipment has been installed at the front desk of the museum.
- All high touch surfaces are disinfected at least once every hour.
Ticket prices for the Neon Museum vary depending on the experience and type of tour you choose. Guests who are members of the Neon Museum enjoy complimentary admission for all tours. Children aged 6 and under are also free.
- Virtual 360 Tour prices are $10
- General Admission – 1 hour, self-led tour of the main Boneyard is $20 for the general public/$16 for locals with identification.
- Guided Tours – 45 minute guided tour of the main Boneyard is $28 for the general public/$24 for locals with identification
- Combination tickets that include a guided tour of The Boneyard, along with access to other Neon Museum features, such as their Brilliant! program, start at $45.
The Boneyard collection at the Neon Museum is open from 2 pm-10 pm on most days. Because the collection is located outside, inclimate weather can affect hours, especially in the case of high winds or heavy rain. If a scheduled tour is canceled due to weather, the Neon Museum will do its best to work with guests and schedule another tour time.
Tickets to the Neon Museum are limited, even more so now with social distancing considerations in place. It’s recommended that you schedule in advance if possible. Tour times are often listed for purchase a month or so in advance.
Neon Museum FAQs
A visit to the Neon Museum is a way to experience a little bit of what has made Las Vegas one of the most famous cities in the United States. Explore a little bit of history and find yourself in awe of each detail that has gone into these iconic signs. Can’t attend in person? Purchase your tickets for a virtual tour today.